Wine Tote Bag – Fun 10 Minute Sewing Project
Gifting a bottle of wine can be a simple (and thoughtful) gift for friends and family. However if you are like me, the standard gift bag is not nearly as personalised as it could be. With that said, I have a easy project that will have your friends and family talking all day!
While Christmas is a few months away, it is never too early to get a start on the Christmas sewing, and what better way to start than the Wine Tote Bag! By itself the Wine Tote Bag Sewing Project is quick and easy for your Janome Sewing Machine; and if you are luckily enough to have a Janome embroidery machine (like the MC500e, MC12000, MC14000 or MC15000) then instead on appliqueing a design onto your Tote, you can stitch out an embroidery pattern instead.
* If you want to do an embroidered centre rather than appliqué, Please bring a suitable embroidery design and threads.
1. From the main Fabric, cut a rectangle 10½” wide X 12½” deep. Trace the bag base circle onto template plastic and cut out. Trace the template onto the remaining main fabric, cut out on the line. From the contrasting fabric cut a rectangle 4½” X 10½”.
2. Fold the main fabric rectangle in half and finger press a crease to mark. Measure 2” from the bottom edge of the appliqué background on this line, pin to hold, then sew around the edge with matching coloured thread.
3. Measure 2¼” and 3” down from the top edge and mark lines across. These lines will create a casing for your ribbon. Measure ½” either side of the centre crease and mark. Sew a buttonhole between the casing lines at these marks.
4. Position the contrast fabric rectangle at the top edge of the main fabric, right sides together, then sew along the top edge. Fold out and press the seam flat. On the opposite raw edge of the contrasting fabric sew zig zag stitch.
5. Fold the joined fabrics in half, right sides together and aligning the seam, and sew to form a long tube. Leave the tube inside out and sew the base circle into the bottom of the tube. With the bag still inside out. Fold the contrast fabric down to the seam and press flat.
6. With the machine foot inside the bag sew around the bag on the marked lines to create the casing.
7. Turn the bag right side out, Thread your ribbon through the casing.
Slip a bottle of wine inside your tote and tie the ribbon in a bow.